Saturday, April 7, 2012

Running To Put The Pieces Together...

2012 FSU Autism Institute 5K

On April 7, 2012 I joined two of my girlfriends bright and early and once again laced up my Asics for a cause I believe in. 

100% of the proceeds from the race went to directly benefit individuals with autism spectrum disorder in the Florida panhandle, their families and others who serve them.

Not only did I attend this race because I wanted to support the moms in my MOPS group who are living with the challenges of autism, but also because one of Gavin's closest friends has autism. If you ask Gavin he will say, "John's my best friend."  I feel so blessed to be part of one of FSU Autism Institutes research studies to help children with autism.  Once a week Gavin and I go to an awesome play group and play with three other children who are from our community and living with autism.  I am learning so much from the parent education meetings and interactions with the teachers, families and other children.  Gavin and I are both feeling very lucky to be part of John and his family's life.  The First Words project and CARDS are just two of the programs FSU supports locally.





I didn't have a great 5K time, at almost 36 minutes, but I was so happy to be there.  It was a beautiful morning in Southwood...and a wild fox crossed my path :)

No comments:

Post a Comment