Sunday, March 6, 2011

What's up, Brie?

If you ask Brie this question, she would reply, "Nothing."  Her answer, however, would be very far from the truth.  Brie has a ton of really cool things going on and I wanted to take a few minutes to write about them.

It's really hard for me to believe that my baby for eleven years (prior to this crazy child named Gavin) is about to turn thirteen.  She's changing so much every day and keeping busy with school, art, dance and Facebook.

Brie is still in the Math and Science Magnet Program at Cobb Middle School.  She successfully made a B in her high school credit Spanish I class (Brie is in 7th grade) last semester and was on the honor roll.  I am extremely proud of her for making 295 points out of 300 on her Bibliography and Monologue project in Language Arts.  Brie chose to do Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel.  She designed her presentation board in the shape of a Chanel No. 5 perfume bottle, sported a Chanel handbag, earrings and dressed in a "little black dress" for her monologue.  Brie is so creative.  I hope that she will go on to become a fashion designer or do something she loves in the fashion world. 

Or maybe she'll be an artist.  Her latest pieces are fantastic!  I told you about her apple that was put on display at our local fairgrounds in the fall.  Since then, she's painted a Santa for a Christmas present for her Gramma Gina, a beautiful toucan for her GG as a birthday gift, a funky heart for me for my birthday, and a unique tree for her dad.  I can't wait to see what she'll start on next. We got the 5x7 canvas she requested, so it'll be little whatever it is!  Good things come in small packages...  Brie's tree was put on Brush and Palette's (her art studio) Facebook page this past week.  I guess her teacher, Pam, loved it as much as I did.  Whenever I see her painting I just want to scream, "WOW!"  They are so impressive and she hasn't even been painting a year!

Brie is super smart, but, being born left-handed, I truly believe she is genetically meant to dance, to do art, and to be driven by her emotions.  After dancing from the ages three to nine, Brie wanted to try something different and went on to play soccer for three years.  I worried about letting her quit dance, but I let her because I wanted her to be happy with whatever activity she was doing.  I ended up really loving to watch her play soccer and it was something for our entire family to do together.  I have very fond memories of walking the track around the soccer field extremely pregnant with Gavin and later taking Gavin to see his big sister play when he was only a few days old.  I can remember her first goal and being proud that she was such a great defender.  I loved being able to watch her play soccer and watch Jacob and TD throw the football at the same time.  Even though I loved Brie playing soccer I was super excited when she asked to go back to dance.  We found a new studio, closer to our house, a new environment, and checked out the classes.  Brie wanted to do hip hop and I wanted her to do ballet.  We compromised with jazz.  Her first recital with her new studio, new teacher and new classmates is only a few months away and I am so excited at the thought of sitting in the audience and watching my beautiful ballerina dance.  It has been way too long. 

Speaking of too long...  It had been too long since Brie and I had spent any time together, just the two of us.  Last weekend, Brie and I got pedicures, ate dessert at The Melting Pot and saw a movie.  It was a lot of fun.  Brie and I laughed at the new massage chairs at the nail salon.   Did you know the massage chairs now have butt massagers?  It was hilarious to be in the middle of talking about something and watch Brie being lifted up a foot off the chair.  She was laughing at me too.  She picked a red glitter nail color and I chose a cherry red.  Brie is always unpredictable.  The Melting Pot was delicious as always.  We picked the smores chocolate and Brie's favorite thing was to dip was the bananas.  It was hard to pick a movie that we both wanted to see.  Brie was pushing for a scary thriller and I was hoping for a comedy or a mild thriller.  I do not like scary movies at all and do not think being scared is fun in any way, shape or form.  I am Number Four was a compromise until TD told us how much Jacob wanted to see it.  We ended up going to the new Adam Sandler movie, Just Go with It.  While watching it, I thought how PG-13 perverted it was, but how very hysterical!  During a very adult funny moment I looked over at Brie and she was laughing too.  She got the joke and I realized how big she has gotten.  It seems like yesterday we were watching Toy Story and Bugs Life.  We ate popcorn and drank coke.  It was a wonderful evening for me.  I'm not sure how cool Brie thinks I am anymore, but I love spending time with her no matter what we're doing and I was very thankful for these few precious hours of just her and I.

Below are a few recent photos of Brie and her art work.

Brie,
I love you, baby!
I'm a proud mama!!



                      Brie's Apple Painting is the colorful one at the bottom, November 2010



Santa, December 2010



Valentine's Heart, February 2011




 Tree, March 2011




                                                            Toucan, January 2011



1 comment:

  1. Wow, mama! What an awesome tribute to your georgeous, talented, loving, respectful, independent, intelligent, and inspiring daughter! Brie's also the best little sister to Jacob and the best big sister to Gavin. Because of who you are and what you have passed down to your daughter, Brie offers the boys her endless support, endless hugs and kisses, and teaching Gavin as you would. I do know how proud you are of Brie. I love you both and wish you many more chances of special moments together. Love you both very much! Can't wait to see you soon! gina

    ReplyDelete